FAQ - What options are available for throttling scans in Aerospike 4.7 and higher?
In Aerospike 4.7 a new Scan sub-system was introduced which brought signficantly more granularity into control of scans. What are the options available for controlling scan performance within this new system?
- Basic scans can be throttled via client policy to set the records per second rate. Controls are also available to limit the percentage of the dataset to scan, or the maximum number of records to return.
- For Background OPS or UDF scans the parameter
background-scan-max-rpsexists to throttle the number of records per second processed.
background-scan-max-rpsdoes not apply to basic scans.
- For most clients the default records per second within the scan policy is 0 which means that the scan is not throttled.
- For background scans (UDF and OPS), a setting of RPS=0 on the client, will force the use of
background-scan-max-rpson the server end for throttling.
- For background scans (only), setting RPS to something more than
background-scan-max-rps, will cause the client to get an invalid parameter error and there will be a corresponding WARNING in the server logs.
BACKGROUND SCAN OPS UDF THROTTLE RPS