Aerospike Server: ASD process memory increases slowly with UDF list

We are seeing the memory of the “asd” process rising slowly over time in production and eventually we have to restart the Aerospike server.

We tried to isolate the issue and it looks like one of our UDFs is causing a leak. In order to reproduce the issue, we created a simplified version of our UDF and ran it in our test server.

Server: Community Edition -

Test UDF

local function createRecord(rec, requestId)
    rec["REQS_LIST"] = list {requestId}
    record.set_ttl(rec, 300)

local function updateRecord(rec)
    record.set_ttl(rec, 300)

function addRequest(rec, requestId)
    if (not aerospike:exists(rec)) then
        createRecord(rec, requestId)
        local requestsList = rec["REQS_LIST"]
        list.append(requestsList, requestId)
        rec["REQS_LIST"] = requestsList

function removeRequest(rec)
    local requestsList = rec["REQS_LIST"]
    list.remove(requestsList, 1)
    rec["REQS_LIST"] = requestsList

Our test script calls “addRequest”, waits for 0-500 ms randomly and calls “removeRequest” repeatedly for 1000 different keys (1000 Aerospike entries) in a loop, in total (add and then remove) 17million times, 220 per second. The memory increased from 39M to 1.1G in ~21 hours.

Start and End log from “top” command:

                           PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
Wed Jun 10 14:42:01 UTC 2020 - 15186 root 20 0 2266m 39m 4836 S 2.0 0.1 0:00.22 asd
Wed Jun 10 14:43:01 UTC 2020 - 15186 root 20 0 2293m 42m 5048 S 4.0 0.1 0:01.41 asd
Wed Jun 10 14:44:01 UTC 2020 - 15186 root 20 0 2301m 43m 5112 S 4.0 0.1 0:03.47 asd
Thu Jun 11 11:46:01 UTC 2020 - 15186 root 20 0 3363m 1.1g 5176 S 2.0 3.4 35:31.77 asd
Thu Jun 11 11:47:01 UTC 2020 - 15186 root 20 0 3363m 1.1g 5176 S 4.0 3.4 35:33.38 asd
Thu Jun 11 11:48:01 UTC 2020 - 15186 root 20 0 3363m 1.1g 5176 S 2.0 3.4 35:35.02 asd

Aerospike summary shows the memory used at 1% from start to end.

Please let me know if you need any info.

@pgupta Is it a known issue? Can you please take a look into this?

@H_Amp - We are not aware of any memory leak issues. Try using lua’s collectgarbage() to periodically check lua’s memory consumption.
You can also use the function to perform immediate garbage collection.

@pgupta Thanks for the reply.

I added collectgarbage in the UDF but the “asd” process memory still kept on rising. The memory usage as shown by the collectgarbage(“count”) is always ~60 KB.

I had done some testing on different scenarios before. I didn’t see leak when I had “list.append” and “list.remove” in the same function (addRequest). I only saw leak with my above UDF where I am adding in the list from one function and removing from the list from another function.

© 2015 Copyright Aerospike, Inc. | All rights reserved. Creators of the Aerospike Database.