Drop secondary index when secondary cluster goes down

Dear all,

I have two clusters(A and B). A is a secondary cluster of B and B is a secondary cluster of A with ‘forward-xdr-writes’ config is not enabled. Our scenario is as follows:

• Create index IDX in cluster A. Therefore, index IDX is also created in cluster B because of XDR replication.
  • Then, cluster B goes down
  • Drop index IDX in cluster A.
  • Restart cluster B

In this case, index IDX is in cluster A without in cluster B. How is index IDX dropped in both two clusters A and B when cluster B is restarted?

Many thanks

XDR does not replicate secondary index. Creating a secondary index in cluster A will not create it in cluster B.

Unless if this is not about secondary index… are you referring to something else?

Thank you for your reply,

If XDR does not replicate secondary index, do I have to create the secondary index again in secondary cluster when primary cluster goes down and switch to secondary cluster?

Why wouldnt you just create the index on both clusters?

We have a scenario as follows:

• Start primary cluster, create secondary index, insert/update data.
  • After a long time, start secondary cluster, create secondary index.

When starting secondary cluster, data is migrated from primary cluster to secondary cluster. Does it have any problem when I create secondary index in secondary cluster in case of big data?

• After a long time, start secondary cluster, create secondary index.

Why after a long time? How do you plan to sync the new cluster up with the original afterwards?

When starting secondary cluster, data is migrated from primary cluster to secondary cluster. Does it have any problem when I create secondary index in secondary cluster in case of big data?

There’s no problem, but it will take some time to create/populate the index.