List oprations

Hi, A few question about ordered lists:

1. how can I see in the DB, using aql, if the list is ordered or not?

2. does ordered list means it’s sorted?

3. I want to scan the db and change all lists (in a specific bin) to be ordered. I want to do is using set_type, but I can’t seem to make it work. Is that possible? how can I do it?

Thanks

Please cross link if you’re posting on another site: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51068552/how-to-sort-all-lists-in-a-specific-bin-in-aerospike-using-aql

AQL is an admin and data browsing tool, and not intended for you to write applications with. It’s built on top of the C client. I would actually do what you’re asking in any of the main language clients (Java, Python, C#, C, Go).

The list data type can have two different types - unordered or ordered. Similarly, the map data type can be unordered, k-ordered, or kv-ordered. The list API will allow you to call any of the operations, regardless of the type you set, but you will have a different cost, in big-O terms. The performance of operations depending on the type is detailed on the website.

If you want to optimize for writes, an unordered list takes less time to add a new element. If you want to optimize for reads, an ordered list does better. You get to control it by setting the type of the list.

Hi Ronen, Thank you very much for your answer. In my use case, I read the whole list but have multiple wriets, most of them of values that is already in the list.

To save space, I want to maintain a unique values list ( a set). I’m doing so by calling to the add operation with add_unique flag. This have a better running time when the list is ordered.

I would like to make sure all the old lists will be ordered from now on. aql has all list operations built in, all but set_type. Scanning the DB with set_type would be the easiest way to sort all lists, but I guess I’ll use one of the other clients.

BTW, why does ordered list takes more space?

You could scan the namespace with a ScanPolicy.includeBinData=false and for each record digest you get back use operate() to wrap the following operations into a single transaction:

You will only need to run this once to clean up your database.

The ordering type will stick for all future operations. You’d just continue to use the ListWriteFlags.ADD_UNIQUE list policy.

This is for the Java client, but all other clients have these operations and policies in them.