Thread safety of ev2citrusleaf_cluster_create() - is it not reentrant?

Hello,

I’m investigating a crash in an aerospike app that uses the libevent c client library (2.1.41). I dug into the code to see why a linked list append function crashed on null pointer dereference. I think it’s a race condition, here’s why:

In src/cl_cluster.c, I see that ev2citrusleaf_cluster_create() appends the newly allocated cluster object to a linked list. This linked list appears to have been initialized explicitly to not use locks and therefore is not thread safe. I think it follows that ev2citrusleaf_cluster_create is not safe to call from multiple threads concurrently.

Is this analysis correct? If so, is this non-thread safety intentional? I tried looking all over the code for some documentation about the concurrency contract for this function but couldn’t.

Any insight is appreciated!

Correct. Currently the cluster_create() function is not thread-safe. Typically application will do cluster(s) creation once serially at the beginning of the application. The cluster-list is a bit of legacy. In an ideal world, we’d want to remove it and simply have cluster objects around.

While on the subject of threads, please do look at: http://www.aerospike.com/docs/client/libevent/usage/eventbase.html

as well example4. It is important to have self-contained event-base and callback, where the thread which initiates the request will also be the one receiving the callback.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Currently my app does something like this

worker() { c = ev2citrusleaf_cluster_create(); … }

main() { for (i = 0; i < n_threads; i++) { spawn_thread(worker); } }

So each worker thread will call ev2citrusleaf_cluster_create without serializing and is therefore buggy.

That’s what I needed, thanks!