Upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 "unrecognized command"

I upgraded from Aerospike version 7.0 to version 7.1.0.0. I am running the latest versions of the Aerospike Prometheus Exporter (1.17.0) and Aerospike Tools (11.0.0). All my client connections are using the Go client 7.2+ Client Matrix | Developer. I do notice that the Aerospike Prometheus Exporter (1.17.0) uses Go Client 6.10 aerospike-prometheus-exporter/go.mod at master · aerospike/aerospike-prometheus-exporter · GitHub. Since the upgrade I have been seeing these errors about every ~5-15 minutes:

May 21 2024 19:22:21 GMT: WARNING (info): (thr_info.c:948) unrecognized command - 'bins/test'
May 21 2024 19:22:21 GMT: WARNING (info): (thr_info.c:948) unrecognized command - 'bins/pdns'

“test” and “pdns” are the namespaces on the cluster. I am not seeing any other issues with the cluster, clients aren’t having any issues and everything looks clean in the monitoring graphs. What do these log lines mean and do I need to be concerned?

namespace configuration helps:

namespace test {
	replication-factor 2
	migrate-sleep 0
	default-ttl 1h
	nsup-period 5m
	storage-engine memory {
		data-size 2G
	}
}

namespace pdns {
	replication-factor 2
	indexes-memory-budget 58G 
	evict-indexes-memory-pct 90
	migrate-sleep 0
	default-ttl 1d 
	nsup-period 5m
	storage-engine device {
		device /dev/nvme0n1p1
		device /dev/nvme0n1p2
		device /dev/nvme0n1p3
		device /dev/nvme0n1p4
		filesize 232G
		flush-size 128K
	}
}

In server version 7.0, bin name limit was removed. As a result, asinfo command bins/{namespace_name} was deprecated. Prior to server version 7, the command provided the stats and is documented here:

While it was also not supported in server version 7.0, starting with server version 7.1, the server started issuing a warning for an unsupported command. Hence you started seeing the warning when migrating from 7.0 to 7.1.

This quite likely is an oversight in the Prometheus Exporter. It should not query that command. Will investigate and get back.

we verified the exporter code and we are not sending the bins command and not collecting any stats at bins level from server ( even before 7.0) we guess this command may be issued by some other tool, so, we suggest to stop/disable exporter and check if this error is still coming.

I have stopped the exporter and I do still see the warning message.

It looks like it is coming from the telemetry service. I stopped the service and I am no longer seeing the error messages.

Thanks for this feedback, I will get back. → OK to run with telemetry stopped. We will address this situation in a future release/update.