Why are my posts getting hidden? (Or, how not to get flagged by the system)

Help! Are community members really hiding my posts? Why do the posts keep getting hidden?

Discourse decided you were spamming :slight_smile:.

Aerospike Community Manager here. The system flagged you because youā€™re brand new (I see you joined 6 hours ago - welcome!) and you posted a series of questions with a bunch of links. Also, you used the term ā€œchat roomā€ in one of them :open_mouth:. This is typical spammer behavior, so your posts got hidden. We had to un-hide them manually once we decided you were legit.

If you want to get quality help on the forum, please be mindful of what @rbotzer suggested to you: ā€œYou have multiple things going on here, most of which have nothing to do with UDF. It would be best if you edited your question, and opened separate topics for the different questions.ā€ So do that. Descriptive titles help as well.

One other rule: please donā€™t double-post on Github and on the forum. Thanks!

Thanks for the tips.

FYI I posted the links to try and explain what Iā€™ve been doing so far. Is there a better way to do that?

Also, I asked about the chat room because I had a very positive experience with another high speed database provider who has such a chat room and I was hoping that Aerospike might have one too :slight_smile:

Also, the email I got from the system was misleading saying that other community members had flagged my posts whereas if I understand you correctly then it is the system itself that flagged the posts. The thought of other community members flagging my posts instantly made me want to leaveā€¦ not very good wording IMO.

Regarding ā€˜UDFā€™ I tried typing in about dozen different keywords but ā€˜udfā€™ was the only one which worked! Also, I tried to create another post as @rbotzer suggested but the system wouldnā€™t let me post it and popped up a message box saying it didnā€™t like the links.

Regarding the double-post to GitHub: I only did that when I exhausted trying to get help here. And also I thought it was what @rbotzer wanted me to do :slight_smile:

As feedback for the community manager:

There seems to be lots of docs and many binary packages but few tutorials regarding how to build and install without the binary packages, and few tutorials regarding the first steps with Aerospike once installed. Of course, this is a common problem for complicated products.

Also, in the past I evaluated Tarantool which is similarly complicated. Although it did not meet my needs I found the Tarantool documentation to have not only good docs but also many useful tutorials and an extremely friendly community of developers including a wonderful chat room. As such I felt I made faster progress with Tarantool than with Aerospike at the start even though Tarantool might be a tick more complicated than Aerospike. I would highly recommend having a peek over their shoulder to see how others do it :slight_smile:

Basically, spammers tend to have new accounts and post a lot of links. After breaching a threshold you were automatically marked as a potential spammer.

Eventually the system will raise your trust level which increases the thresholds for various spam indicators.

Enterprise support does use chat tools and conference calls. Also Enterprise support requests have a defined SLA.

Agree, thank you for raising this issue.

Please follow your advice. Take notice of how others ask questions and how posts tend to have descriptive titles. Also notice how most people do not shotgun all of their questions into a single post. To do otherwise shows a lack of respect for the time and effort of others who would like to help.

Chat rooms may be convenient; however, they promote unorganized discussions that provide little value for future users with similar questions. In contrast, a forum discussion creates a resource for the next person.

I find Aerospikeā€™s community to be very friendly. I believe a friendly community begins with mutual respect. It is very rare that Iā€™m left with any other impression.

Good luck.

2 Likes

@simonhf,

Also, the email I got from the system was misleading saying that other community members had flagged my posts whereas if I understand you correctly then it is the system itself that flagged the posts. The thought of other community members flagging my posts instantly made me want to leaveā€¦ not very good wording IMO.

Will you please forward me the email with this wording so I can talk to our forum software provider? I will send you a message with my email address.

There seems to be lots of docs and many binary packages but few tutorials regarding how to build and install without the binary packages, and few tutorials regarding the first steps with Aerospike once installed. Of course, this is a common problem for complicated products.

Thanks for the feedback. I will reach out to you privately to make sure youā€™re aware of all our tutorials and to discuss where you see gaps.

FYI hereā€™s the meat of the harsh message that appears in your inbox after a message has been hidden:

Your post was flagged as spam: the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.

Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff ā€“ and there may be further action, including the possible suspension of your account.

FYI this morning I successfully created a new post and tried hard to find a keyword which matched the post. All good. But on the next post I got this rejection message saying that ā€œYouā€™ve reached the maximum number of topics a new user can create on their first day.ā€ :frowning: This is bad news for me because I have LOTS of questionsā€¦