Increase Block Write Size form 128K to 256K

What is the Impact on storage size usage if i try to increase the block size from 128K to 256K?

Is it mean twice storage size usage? or there’s no impact?

Thanks, Avi

Aerospike writes in blocks sized by the write-block-size parameter. Depending on your SSDs, you may find that increasing the write-block-size may enhance, degrade, or not change the write performance of your system. The write-block-size setting also limits the maximum size of a record stored in Aerospike. Currently the max at which you may set write-block-size is 1 MB.

On older generation SSDs, we found that we achieved higher performance with a write-block-size set to 128KB; however, with modern SSDs, we have seen that we often achieve higher performance at the 1MB limit.

I have my Aerospike server in a GCP machine. I had problems with the message “device overload”. It was solved by setting write-block-size to a 1 MB. Nice response @kporter. Thanks

The information here is a bit stale, the maximum value for write-block-size was increased to 8 MiB in Aerospike Server 3.16 (IIRC).

Got it. The only question is, the higher the write-block-size is, the better performance is? or can this only be confirmed by testing different values? @kporter

Depends on manufacturer and drive specs… as well as your own use case. YMMV. Need to test and compare. Benchmark, benchmark, benchmark…

2 Likes

The write-block-size also sets the maximum allowed record size. Often users are surprised to see that their network utilization increases when they increase the write-block-size since they have now permitted their records to grow further. In Aerospike 5.7, we introduced the max-record-size configuration parameter - you can now increase your write-block-size independently of your max-record-size.

Don’t forget that increasing the write-block-size would also increase the post-write-queue and that may be what is helping with performance. Going from 128KiB to 1MiB means an 8x larger post-write-queue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 84 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.