Read time benchmarks for write-block-size

I have a version 4.2 database with a fairly large number number of records that are approaching the currently configured write-block-size of 1Mb. So, now I need to consider whether or not to shard my data or increase my configured write-block-size. I’ve seen that increasing the write-block-size has negative performance impacts, but I can’t find any specific benchmarks so I can’t tell if it’s better to raise it, or shard my data. Is there anywhere I could find concrete data to help me make this decision?

The answer will always be ‘benchmark it’. In my experience I think it more so comes down to a question of if you will ever be using parts of the data or always the whole piece.

If the answer on if you will ever only need to read/write part of the data is ‘yes’, such as “yes sometimes I only need part of the data”, or even “yes sometimes I will only write part of the data”, then the answer is usually that you will benefit from splitting up your records at the cost of extra index space.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.