Client's error codes mapping with server's error codes

I wanted to know which error codes(of c client) are mapped to the server’s error-codes in the scenario when the data is unavailable in the SC mode(unavailable partitions/dead partitions).

The server’s error codes( PARTITION_UNAVAILABLE , INVALID_NODE_ERROR , TIMEOUT and CONNECTION_ERROR) have been described here.

In general, error codes > 0 are server generated error codes. Error codes < 0 are client generated error codes. There are some exceptions like AEROSPIKE_ERR_TIMEOUT (9) which is generated by both client and server.

Server PARTITION_UNAVAILABLE (11) is equivalent to AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLUSTER (11). AEROSPIKE_ERR_INVALID_NODE (-8) and AEROSPIKE_ERR_CONNECTION (-10) is only generated by the client.

Hi Vishal, do you have any further questions on this topic?

Actually our observation has been different. In case of ‘unavailable/dead partitions’ we are getting the generic error code i.e. AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLIENT.

We are using aerospike-client-c-4.4.1-1.el6.x86_64

Thanks for your reply Vishal, I believe we are tracking this under a support case at present, do you mind confirming with your internal Aerospike folks? If I am thinking of the same issue, ask the team if you can be put in copy and we’ll make sure you are kept updated on the responses.

I’m already in that mail chain. Actually I raised the query over here first and then it got escalated to the aerospike support team later.

The AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLIENT (-1) status code with “Node not found for partition” message indicates a there is no active node that currently owns the partition containing the command’s key. This a client generated message when trying to read the client’s data partition map.

The server can also return PARTITION_UNAVAILABLE (11) when the server node is active, but the data partition is not readable in order to adhere to strong consistency. The C client mapping of this code is AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLUSTER (11).

Hi Vishal, the sequence is going to be as follows:

during the time of the partition / node loss you are going to see timeouts.

Once the partition has been marked as unavailable you will see AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLUSTER in the following circumstances:

• Partition is unavailable but client has not got new partition map, Aerospike C client versions 4.4.1 and lower
  • Partition is unavailable and Aerospike C client version >=4.5 no other node has claimed partition ownership and node is running.

In Aerospike C Client 4.4.1 you can get AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLIENT once the partition has been marked as unavailable and the clients have new partition maps. In these versions, if a node did not claim ownership of a partition (due to it being unavailable) the entry would be removed from the partition map.

Quick update, the next client version will actually return AEROSPIKE_ERR_INVALID_NODE for the specific error when the client doesn’t have any node mapping for a given partition. The AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLIENT will remain a generic client error. We will also update the documentation for AEROSPIKE_ERR_CLUSTER which is actually not a generic cluster error, but the very specific error code 11 (partition unavailable).